Last Updated Date: November 18, 2022
The Services enable academics and researchers to process certain information related to tissue samples provided by such researchers and/or the university, academic or other research institution they work for (each, an “Institution”). If the parties, or the Company and the Institution, have entered into a written and pen-signed agreement regarding the collection, storage, use and/or processing of any data and/or tissue samples provided by you or your Institution (“Institution Agreement”), that agreement will supersede these terms to the extent of any direct conflict.
IF YOU SUBSCRIBE TO THE SERVICES FOR A TERM (THE “INITIAL TERM”), THEN THE TERMS WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY RENEWED FOR ADDITIONAL PERIODS OF THE SAME DURATION AS THE INITIAL TERM AT COMPANY’S THEN-CURRENT FEE FOR SUCH SERVICES UNLESS YOU OPT OUT OF THE AUTO-RENEWAL IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 5.6 (AUTOMATIC RENEWAL) BELOW.
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT SECTION 10 (DISPUTE RESOLUTION) OF THIS AGREEMENT, BELOW, CONTAINS PROVISIONS GOVERNING HOW DISPUTES THAT YOU AND WE HAVE AGAINST EACH OTHER ARE RESOLVED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY DISPUTES THAT AROSE OR WERE ASSERTED PRIOR TO THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THIS AGREEMENT. IN PARTICULAR, IT CONTAINS AN ARBITRATION AGREEMENT WHICH WILL, WITH LIMITED EXCEPTIONS, REQUIRE DISPUTES BETWEEN US TO BE SUBMITTED TO BINDING AND FINAL ARBITRATION. UNLESS YOU OPT OUT OF THE ARBITRATION AGREEMENT: (1) YOU WILL ONLY BE PERMITTED TO PURSUE DISPUTES OR CLAIMS AND SEEK RELIEF AGAINST US ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS, NOT AS A PLAINTIFF OR CLASS MEMBER IN ANY CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE ACTION OR PROCEEDING; AND (2) YOU ARE WAIVING YOUR RIGHT TO PURSUE DISPUTES OR CLAIMS AND SEEK RELIEF IN A COURT OF LAW AND TO HAVE A JURY TRIAL.
USE OF THE SERVICES AND COMPANY PROPERTIES. The Website, the Services, and the information and content available on the Website and the Services (other than Your Data as defined below) (each, a “Company Property” and collectively, the “Company Properties”) are protected by copyright laws throughout the world.
- Updates. You understand that Company Properties are evolving. As a result, Company may require you to accept updates to Company Properties that you have installed on your computer or mobile device. You acknowledge and agree that Company may update Company Properties with or without notifying you. You may need to update third-party software from time to time in order to use Company Properties.
- Certain Restrictions. The rights granted to you in the Agreement are subject to the following restrictions: (a) you shall not license, sell, rent, lease, transfer, assign, reproduce, distribute, host or otherwise commercially exploit Company Properties or any portion of Company Properties, including the Website; (b) you shall not frame or utilize framing techniques to enclose any trademark, logo, or other Company Properties (including images, text, page layout or form) of Company; (c) you shall not use any metatags or other “hidden text” using Company’s name or trademarks; (d) you shall not modify, translate, adapt, merge, make derivative works of, disassemble, decompile, reverse compile or reverse engineer any part of Company Properties except to the extent the foregoing restrictions are expressly prohibited by applicable law; (e) you shall not use any manual or automated software, devices or other processes (including but not limited to spiders, robots, scrapers, crawlers, avatars, data mining tools or the like) to “scrape” or download data from any web pages contained in the Website (except that we grant the operators of public search engines revocable permission to use spiders to copy materials from the Website for the sole purpose of and solely to the extent necessary for creating publicly available searchable indices of the materials, but not caches or archives of such materials); (f) except as expressly stated herein, no part of Company Properties may be copied, reproduced, distributed, republished, downloaded, displayed, posted or transmitted in any form or by any means; and (g) you shall not remove or destroy any copyright notices or other proprietary markings contained on or in Company Properties. Any future release, update or other addition to Company Properties shall be subject to the Agreement. Company, its suppliers and service providers reserve all rights not granted in the Agreement. Any unauthorized use of any Company Property terminates the licenses granted by Company pursuant to the Agreement.
- Registering Your Account. In order to access certain features of Company Properties you may be required to become a Registered User. For purposes of the Agreement, a “Registered User” is a user who has registered an account on the Website (“Account”).
- Registration Data. In registering an account on the Website, you agree to (a) provide true, accurate, current and complete information about yourself as prompted by the registration form (the “Registration Data”); and (b) maintain and promptly update the Registration Data to keep it true, accurate, current and complete. You represent that you are (i) of legal age to form a binding contract; and (ii) not a person barred from using Company Properties under the laws of the United States, your place of residence or any other applicable jurisdiction. You are responsible for all activities that occur under your Account. You may not share your Account or password with anyone, and you agree to notify Company immediately of any unauthorized use of your password or any other breach of security. If you provide any information that is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, or Company has reasonable grounds to suspect that any information you provide is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, Company has the right to suspend or terminate your Account and refuse any and all current or future use of Company Properties (or any portion thereof). You agree not to create an Account using a false identity or information, or on behalf of someone other than yourself. Company reserves the right to remove or reclaim any usernames at any time and for any reason, including but not limited to, claims by a third party that a username violates the third party’s rights. You agree not to create an Account or use Company Properties if you have been previously removed by Company, or if you have been previously banned from any of Company Properties.
- Your Account. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary herein, you acknowledge and agree that you shall have no ownership or other property interest in your Account, and you further acknowledge and agree that all rights in and to your Account are and shall forever be owned by and inure to the benefit of Company.
- Institution Agreement. To the extent the collection, processing, storage or use of any data or information provided, disclosed or made available by (to “Make Available”) or on behalf of you or your Institution (“Your Data”) is governed by an Institution Agreement, that agreement will supersede to the extent of any direct conflict with this Agreement. In the event no such Institution Agreement exists, or the collection, processing, storage or use of Your Data is not subject to an Institution Agreement, the remainder of this Section 3 will govern and control.
- License to Your Data. Subject to Section 3.1, you hereby grant to the Company a non-exclusive, royalty-free, fully paid-up, irrevocable, perpetual right to use Your Data to (i) provide the Services, and (ii) to improve the Company’s products and services; provided, that, such use shall be on an aggregated and anonymized basis. As between you and the Company, you shall remain the sole and exclusive owner of Your Data. You represent and warrant that you have all rights necessary to grant the foregoing license and that the Company’s use of Your Data as permitted herein does not and will not violate the rights of any third party.
- Storage. Unless expressly agreed to by Company elsewhere, Company has no obligation to store any of Your Data that you Make Available on Company Properties. Company has no responsibility or liability for the deletion or accuracy of Your Data; the failure to store, transmit or receive transmission of Content; or the security, privacy, storage, or transmission of other communications originating with or involving use of Company Properties. You agree that Company retains the right to create reasonable limits on Company’s use and storage of the Content, including Your Content, such as limits on file size, storage space, processing capacity, and similar limits described on the Website and as otherwise determined by Company in its sole discretion. “Content” means any information, data, text, software, music, sound, photographs, graphics, video, messages, tags and/or other materials accessible through Company Properties.
- Acceptable Use Policy. In connection with the Company Properties, you shall not:
(a) Make Available any Content that, in Company’s sole discretion, (i) is subject to any government regulations or privacy, health or data security laws, including protected health information (as defined by HIPAA); (ii) is unlawful, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable; (iii) violates, or encourages any conduct that would violate, any applicable law or regulation or would give rise to civil liability; (iv) promotes discrimination, bigotry, racism, hatred, harassment or harm against any individual or group; (v) is violent or threatening, or promotes violence or actions that are threatening to any other person; or (vi) promotes illegal or harmful activities;
(b) Harm minors in any way;
(c) Impersonate any person or entity, including, but not limited to, Company personnel, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
(d) Make available any Content that you do not have a right to Make Available under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as inside information, proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under non-disclosure agreements);
(e) Make Available any Content that infringes the rights of any person or entity, including without limitation, any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, privacy, publicity or other proprietary or contractual rights;
(f) Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law or regulation, or any order of a court;
(g) Register for more than one Account or register for an Account on behalf of an individual other than yourself;
(h) Stalk or otherwise harass any other user of our Company Properties; or
(i) Advocate, encourage or assist any third party in doing any of the foregoing activities in this section.
- Company Properties. Except with respect to Your Data, you agree that Company and its suppliers own all rights, title and interest in Company Properties. You will not remove, alter or obscure any copyright, trademark, service mark or other proprietary rights notices incorporated in or accompanying any Company Properties.
- Feedback. You agree that submission of any ideas, suggestions, documents, and/or proposals to Company through its suggestion, feedback, wiki, forum, or similar pages (“Feedback”) is at your own risk and that Company has no obligations (including without limitation obligations of confidentiality) with respect to such Feedback. You represent and warrant that you have all rights necessary to submit the Feedback. You hereby grant to Company a fully paid, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, non-exclusive, and fully sublicensable right and license to use, reproduce, perform, display, distribute, adapt, modify, re-format, create derivative works of, and otherwise commercially or non-commercially exploit in any manner, any and all Feedback, and to sublicense the foregoing rights, in connection with the operation and maintenance of Company Properties and/or Company’s business.
FEES AND PURCHASE TERMS.
- General Purpose of Agreement: Sale of Service, not Software. The purpose of the Agreement is for you to secure access to the Services. All fees set forth within and paid by you under the Agreement shall be considered solely in furtherance of this purpose.
- Payment. You agree to pay all fees or charges to your Account in accordance with the fees, charges and billing terms in effect at the time a fee or charge is due and payable. You must provide Company with a valid credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or any other issuer accepted by us) (“Payment Provider”), or purchase order information, as a condition to signing up for the Services. Your Payment Provider agreement governs your use of the designated credit card, and you must refer to that agreement, not this Agreement, to determine your rights and liabilities. By providing Company with your credit card number and associated payment information, you agree that Company is authorized to immediately invoice your Account for all fees and charges due and payable to Company hereunder and that no additional notice or consent is required. You agree to immediately notify Company of any change in your billing address or the credit card used for payment hereunder. Company reserves the right at any time to change its prices and billing methods, either immediately upon posting on Company Properties or by e-mail delivery to you. In the event you do not timely pay your fees when due, the Company reserves all rights and remedies available to it at law and hereunder, including the right to suspend performance of the Services, the right to retain Your Data until full payment is made, and the right to charge the maximum interest rate allowable by applicable law on the overdue balance.
- Service Subscription Fees. You will be responsible for payment of the applicable fee for any Services at the time you create your Account and select your subscription package. Except as set forth in the Agreement, all fees for the Services are non-refundable. No contract will exist between you and Company for the Services until Company accepts your order by a confirmatory e-mail, SMS/MMS message, or other appropriate means of communication.
- Taxes. The payments required under Section 5.3 (Service Subscription Fees) of this Agreement do not include any Sales Tax that may be due in connection with the services provided under this Agreement. If Company determines it has a legal obligation to collect a Sales Tax from you in connection with this Agreement, Company shall collect such Sales Tax in addition to the payments required under Section 5.3 (Service Subscription Fees) of this Agreement. If any services, or payments for any services, under the Agreement are subject to any Sales Tax in any jurisdiction and you have not remitted the applicable Sales Tax to Company, you will be responsible for the payment of such Sales Tax and any related penalties or interest to the relevant tax authority, and you will indemnify Company for any liability or expense Company may incur in connection with such Sales Taxes. Upon Company’s request, you will provide it with official receipts issued by the appropriate taxing authority, or other such evidence that you have paid all applicable taxes. For purposes of this section, “Sales Tax” shall mean any sales or use tax and any other tax measured by sales proceeds that is the functional equivalent of a sales tax where the applicable taxing jurisdiction does not otherwise impose a sales or use tax.
- Withholding Taxes. You agree to make all payments of fees to Company free and clear of, and without reduction for, any withholding taxes. Any such taxes imposed on payments of fees to Company will be your sole responsibility, and you will provide Company with official receipts issued by the appropriate taxing authority, or such other evidence as we may reasonably request, to establish that such taxes have been paid.
- Automatic Renewal. Your subscription will continue indefinitely until terminated in accordance with the Agreement. After your initial subscription period, and again after any subsequent subscription period, your subscription will automatically commence on the first day following the end of such period (each a “Renewal Commencement Date”) and continue for an additional equivalent period, at Company’s then-current price for such subscription. You agree that your Account will be subject to this automatic renewal feature unless you cancel your subscription at least thirty (30) days prior to the Renewal Commencement Date (or in the event that you receive a notice from Company that your subscription will be automatically renewed, you will have thirty (30) days from the date of the Company notice), by sending notice of your cancellation to email@example.com. If you do not wish your Account to renew automatically, or if you want to change or terminate your subscription, please contact Company at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you cancel your subscription, you may use your subscription until the end of your then-current subscription term; your subscription will not be renewed after your then-current term expires. However, you will not be eligible for a prorated refund of any portion of the subscription fee paid for the then-current subscription period. By subscribing, you authorize Company to charge your Payment Provider now, and again at the beginning of any subsequent subscription period. Upon renewal of your subscription, if Company does not receive payment from your Payment Provider, (a) you agree to pay all amounts due on your Account upon demand and/or (b) you agree that Company may either terminate or suspend your subscription and continue to attempt to charge your Payment Provider until payment is received (upon receipt of payment, your Account will be activated and for purposes of automatic renewal, your new subscription commitment period will begin as of the day payment was received).
INDEMNIFICATION. You agree to indemnify and hold Company, its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, employees, agents, partners, suppliers, and licensors (each, a “Company Party” and collectively, the “Company Parties”) harmless from any losses, costs, liabilities and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) relating to or arising out of any and all of the following: (a) Your Data; (b) your use of, or inability to use, any Company Property; (c) your violation of the Agreement; (d) your violation of any rights of another party, including any Registered Users; or (e) your violation of any applicable laws, rules or regulations. Company reserves the right, at its own cost, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you, in which event you will fully cooperate with Company in asserting any available defenses. You agree that the provisions in this section will survive any termination of your Account, the Agreement and/or your access to Company Properties.
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS.
YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, YOUR USE OF COMPANY PROPERTIES IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK, AND COMPANY PROPERTIES ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS, WITH ALL FAULTS. COMPANY PARTIES EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, REPRESENTATIONS, AND CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT ARISING FROM USE OF THE WEBSITE.
- COMPANY PARTIES MAKE NO WARRANTY, REPRESENTATION OR CONDITION THAT: (1) COMPANY PROPERTIES WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS; (2) YOUR USE OF COMPANY PROPERTIES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE OR ERROR-FREE; OR (3) THE RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM USE OF COMPANY PROPERTIES WILL BE ACCURATE OR RELIABLE.
- ANY CONTENT DOWNLOADED FROM OR OTHERWISE ACCESSED THROUGH COMPANY PROPERTIES IS ACCESSED AT YOUR OWN RISK, AND YOU SHALL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR PROPERTY, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM AND ANY DEVICE YOU USE TO ACCESS COMPANY PROPERTIES, OR ANY OTHER LOSS THAT RESULTS FROM ACCESSING SUCH CONTENT.
- THE SERVICES MAY BE SUBJECT TO DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND OTHER DISRUPTIONS. COMPANY MAKES NO WARRANTY, REPRESENTATION OR CONDITION WITH RESPECT TO SERVICES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE QUALITY, EFFECTIVENESS, REPUTATION AND OTHER CHARACTERISTICS OF SERVICES.
- NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED FROM COMPANY OR THROUGH COMPANY PROPERTIES WILL CREATE ANY WARRANTY NOT EXPRESSLY MADE HEREIN.
- From time to time, Company may offer new “beta” features or tools with which its users may experiment. Such features or tools are offered solely for experimental purposes and without any warranty of any kind, and may be modified or discontinued at Company’s sole discretion. The provisions of this section apply with full force to such features or tools.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY.
- Disclaimer of Certain Damages. YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT, TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PROVIDED BY LAW, IN NO EVENT SHALL COMPANY PARTIES BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OF PROFITS, REVENUE OR DATA, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, OR DAMAGES OR COSTS DUE TO LOSS OF PRODUCTION OR USE, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, OR PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES, IN EACH CASE WHETHER OR NOT COMPANY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE AGREEMENT OR ANY COMMUNICATIONS, INTERACTIONS OR MEETINGS WITH OTHER USERS OF COMPANY PROPERTIES, ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, RESULTING FROM: (a) THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE COMPANY PROPERTIES; (b) THE COST OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES RESULTING FROM ANY GOODS, DATA, INFORMATION OR SERVICES PURCHASED OR OBTAINED; OR MESSAGES RECEIVED FOR TRANSACTIONS ENTERED INTO THROUGH COMPANY PROPERTIES; (c) UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR ALTERATION OF YOUR TRANSMISSIONS OR DATA; (d) STATEMENTS OR CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD PARTY ON COMPANY PROPERTIES; OR (e) ANY OTHER MATTER RELATED TO COMPANY PROPERTIES, WHETHER BASED ON WARRANTY, COPYRIGHT, CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), PRODUCT LIABILITY OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY.
- Cap on Liability. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PROVIDED BY LAW, COMPANY PARTIES WILL NOT BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR MORE THAN THE GREATER OF (a) THE TOTAL AMOUNT PAID TO COMPANY BY YOU DURING THE ONE-MONTH PERIOD PRIOR TO THE ACT, OMISSION OR OCCURRENCE GIVING RISE TO SUCH LIABILITY; (b) $100; or (c) THE REMEDY OR PENALTY IMPOSED BY THE STATUTE UNDER WHICH SUCH CLAIM ARISES. THE FOREGOING CAP ON LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY OF A COMPANY PARTY FOR (i) DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY CAUSED BY A COMPANY PARTY’S NEGLIGENCE; OR FOR (ii) ANY INJURY CAUSED BY A COMPANY PARTY’S FRAUD OR FRAUDULENT MISREPRESENTATION.
- Exclusion of Damages. CERTAIN JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF CERTAIN DAMAGES. IF THESE LAWS APPLY TO YOU, SOME OR ALL OF THE ABOVE EXCLUSIONS OR LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU, AND YOU MIGHT HAVE ADDITIONAL RIGHTS.
- Basis of the Bargain. THE LIMITATIONS OF DAMAGES SET FORTH ABOVE ARE FUNDAMENTAL ELEMENTS OF THE BASIS OF THE BARGAIN BETWEEN COMPANY AND YOU.
TERM AND TERMINATION.
- Term. The Agreement commences on the date when you accept them (as described in the preamble above) and remain in full force and effect while you use Company Properties, unless terminated earlier in accordance with the Agreement.
- Prior Use. Notwithstanding the foregoing, you hereby acknowledge and agree that the Agreement commenced on the earlier to occur of (a) the date you first used Company Properties or (b) the date you accepted the Agreement, and will remain in full force and effect while you use any Company Properties, unless earlier terminated in accordance with the Agreement.
- Termination of Services by Company. Except as otherwise set forth in an Institution Agreement, the Company may terminate this Agreement for any reason, including, without limitation, if you have materially breached any provision of the Agreement, or if Company is required to do so by law (e.g., where the provision of the Website or the Services is, or becomes, unlawful), Company has the right to, immediately and without notice, suspend or terminate any Services provided to you. You agree that all terminations for cause shall be made in Company’s sole discretion and that Company shall not be liable to you or any third party for any termination of your Account.
- Termination of Services by You. If you want to terminate the Services provided by Company, you may do so by (a) notifying Company at any time and (b) closing your Account for all of the Services that you use. Your notice should be sent, in writing, to Company’s address set forth below. THE SERVICES WILL CONTINUE AT THE END OF EACH SUBSCRIPTION PERIOD UNLESS YOU CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PROCEDURE SET FORTH IN SECTION 5.6 (AUTOMATIC RENEWAL).
- Termination of Institution Agreement. Your right to use the Company Properties will terminate automatically if the Institution Agreement granting your access to and use of the Company Properties expires or terminates for any reason.
- Effect of Termination. Termination of any Service includes removal of access to such Service and barring of further use of the Service. Termination of all Services also includes deletion of your password and all related information, files and Content associated with or inside your Account (or any part thereof), including Your Data. Upon termination of any Service, your right to use such Service will automatically terminate immediately. You understand that any termination of Services may involve deletion of Your Data associated therewith from our live databases, unless otherwise set forth in an Institution Agreement. Company will not have any liability whatsoever to you for any suspension or termination, including for deletion of Your Data. All provisions of the Agreement which by their nature should survive, shall survive termination of Services, including without limitation, ownership provisions, warranty disclaimers, and limitation of liability.
DISPUTE RESOLUTION. Please read the following arbitration agreement in this section (“Arbitration Agreement”) carefully. It requires users to arbitrate disputes with Company and limits the manner in which you can seek relief from us.
- Applicability of Arbitration Agreement. You agree that any dispute, claim, or request for relief relating in any way to your access or use of the Website, to any products sold or distributed through the Website, or to any aspect of your relationship with Company, will be resolved by binding arbitration, rather than in court, except that (a) you may assert claims or seek relief in small claims court if your claims qualify; and (b) you or Company may seek equitable relief in court for infringement or other misuse of intellectual property rights (such as trademarks, trade dress, domain names, trade secrets, copyrights, and patents). This Arbitration Agreement shall apply, without limitation, to all disputes or claims and requests for relief that arose or were asserted before the effective date of this Agreement or any prior version of this Agreement.
- Arbitration Rules and Forum. The Federal Arbitration Act governs the interpretation and enforcement of this Arbitration Agreement. To begin an arbitration proceeding, you must send a letter requesting arbitration and describing your dispute or claim or request for relief to 3499 Edison Way, Menlo Park, CA 94025. The arbitration will be conducted by JAMS, an established alternative dispute resolution provider. Disputes involving claims, counterclaims, or request for relief under $250,000, not inclusive of attorneys’ fees and interest, shall be subject to JAMS’s most current version of the Streamlined Arbitration Rules and procedures available at http://www.jamsadr.com/rules-streamlined-arbitration/; all other disputes shall be subject to JAMS’s most current version of the Comprehensive Arbitration Rules and Procedures, available at http://www.jamsadr.com/rules-comprehensive-arbitration/. JAMS’s rules are also available at www.jamsadr.com or by calling JAMS at 800-352-5267.
You may choose to have the arbitration conducted by telephone, based on written submissions, or in person in the country where you live or at another mutually agreed location. Any judgment on the award rendered by the arbitrator may be entered in any court of competent jurisdiction.
- Authority of Arbitrator. The arbitrator shall have exclusive authority to (a) determine the scope and enforceability of this Arbitration Agreement and (b) resolve any dispute related to the interpretation, applicability, enforceability or formation of this Arbitration Agreement including, but not limited to, any assertion that all or any part of this Arbitration Agreement is void or voidable. The arbitration will decide the rights and liabilities, if any, of you and Company. The arbitration proceeding will not be consolidated with any other matters or joined with any other cases or parties. The arbitrator shall have the authority to grant motions dispositive of all or part of any claim. The arbitrator shall have the authority to award monetary damages and to grant any non-monetary remedy or relief available to an individual under applicable law, the arbitral forum’s rules, and the Agreement (including the Arbitration Agreement). The arbitrator shall issue a written award and statement of decision describing the essential findings and conclusions on which the award is based, including the calculation of any damages awarded. The arbitrator has the same authority to award relief on an individual basis that a judge in a court of law would have. The award of the arbitrator is final and binding upon you and us.
- Waiver of Jury Trial. YOU AND COMPANY HEREBY WAIVE ANY CONSTITUTIONAL AND STATUTORY RIGHTS TO SUE IN COURT AND HAVE A TRIAL IN FRONT OF A JUDGE OR A JURY. You and Company are instead electing that all disputes, claims, or requests for relief shall be resolved by arbitration under this Arbitration Agreement, except as specified in Section 10.1 (Applicability of Arbitration Agreement) above. An arbitrator can award on an individual basis the same damages and relief as a court and must follow this Agreement as a court would. However, there is no judge or jury in arbitration, and court review of an arbitration award is subject to very limited review.
- Waiver of Class or Other Non-Individualized Relief. ALL DISPUTES, CLAIMS, AND REQUESTS FOR RELIEF WITHIN THE SCOPE OF THIS ARBITRATION AGREEMENT MUST BE ARBITRATED ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS AND NOT ON A CLASS OR COLLECTIVE BASIS, ONLY INDIVIDUAL RELIEF IS AVAILABLE, AND CLAIMS OF MORE THAN ONE CUSTOMER OR USER CANNOT BE ARBITRATED OR CONSOLIDATED WITH THOSE OF ANY OTHER CUSTOMER OR USER. If a decision is issued stating that applicable law precludes enforcement of any of this section’s limitations as to a given dispute, claim, or request for relief, then such aspect must be severed from the arbitration and brought into the State or Federal Courts located in the State of California. All other disputes, claims, or requests for relief shall be arbitrated.
- Severability. Except as provided in Section 10.5 (Waiver of Class or Other Non-Individualized Relief), if any part or parts of this Arbitration Agreement are found under the law to be invalid or unenforceable, then such specific part or parts shall be of no force and effect and shall be severed and the remainder of the Arbitration Agreement shall continue in full force and effect.
- Survival of Agreement. This Arbitration Agreement will survive the termination of your relationship with Company.
- Electronic Communications. The communications between you and Company may take place via electronic means, whether you visit Company Properties or send Company e-mails, or whether Company posts notices on Company Properties or communicates with you via e-mail. For contractual purposes, you (a) consent to receive communications from Company in an electronic form; and (b) agree that all terms and conditions, agreements, notices, disclosures, and other communications that Company provides to you electronically satisfy any legal requirement that such communications would satisfy if it were to be in writing. The foregoing does not affect your statutory rights, including but not limited to the Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act at 15 U.S.C. §7001 et seq. (“E-Sign”).
- Assignment. The Agreement, and your rights and obligations hereunder, may not be assigned, subcontracted, delegated or otherwise transferred by you without Company’s prior written consent, and any attempted assignment, subcontract, delegation, or transfer in violation of the foregoing will be null and void.
- Force Majeure. Company shall not be liable for any delay or failure to perform resulting from causes outside its reasonable control, including, but not limited to, acts of God, war, terrorism, riots, embargos, acts of civil or military authorities, fire, floods, accidents, strikes or shortages of transportation facilities, fuel, energy, labor or materials.
- Exclusive Venue. To the extent the parties are permitted under this Agreement to initiate litigation in a court, both you and Company agree that all claims and disputes arising out of or relating to the Agreement will be litigated exclusively in the state or federal courts located in San Mateo County, California.
- Governing Law. The Terms and any action related thereto will be governed and interpreted by and under the laws of the State of CALIFORNIA, consistent with the Federal Arbitration Act, without giving effect to any principles that provide for the application of the law of another jurisdiction. The United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods does not apply to the AGREEMENT.
- Notice. Where Company requires that you provide an e-mail address, you are responsible for providing Company with your most current e-mail address. In the event that the last e-mail address you provided to Company is not valid, or for any reason is not capable of delivering to you any notices required/ permitted by the Agreement, Company’s dispatch of the e-mail containing such notice will nonetheless constitute effective notice. You may give notice to Company at the following address: 3499 Edison Way, Menlo Park, CA 94025. Such notice shall be deemed given when received by Company by letter delivered by nationally recognized overnight delivery service or first class postage prepaid mail at the above address.
- Waiver. Any waiver or failure to enforce any provision of the Agreement on one occasion will not be deemed a waiver of any other provision or of such provision on any other occasion.
- Severability. If any portion of this Agreement is held invalid or unenforceable, that portion shall be construed in a manner to reflect, as nearly as possible, the original intention of the parties, and the remaining portions shall remain in full force and effect.
- Export Control. You may not use, export, import, or transfer Company Properties except as authorized by U.S. law, the laws of the jurisdiction in which you obtained Company Properties, and any other applicable laws. In particular, but without limitation, Company Properties may not be exported or re-exported (a) into any United States embargoed countries, or (b) to anyone on the U.S. Treasury Department’s list of Specially Designated Nationals or the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Denied Person’s List or Entity List. By using Company Properties, you represent and warrant that (i) you are not located in a country that is subject to a U.S. Government embargo, or that has been designated by the U.S. Government as a “terrorist supporting” country and (ii) you are not listed on any U.S. Government list of prohibited or restricted parties. You also will not use Company Properties for any purpose prohibited by U.S. law, including the development, design, manufacture or production of missiles, nuclear, chemical or biological weapons. You acknowledge and agree that products, services or technology provided by Company are subject to the export control laws and regulations of the United States. You shall comply with these laws and regulations and shall not, without prior U.S. government authorization, export, re-export, or transfer Company products, services or technology, either directly or indirectly, to any country in violation of such laws and regulations.
- Entire Agreement. The Agreement is the final, complete and exclusive agreement of the parties with respect to the subject matter hereof and supersedes and merges all prior discussions between the parties with respect to such subject matter.